Wednesday, September 06, 2006

So Says Shins

This video is from my favourite group The Shins.



In the movie Garden State the character Sam said to Andrew: "You gotta hear this one song, it'll change your life I swear." I first heard this song from the surf movie Shelter. It didn't change my life. But when I listened to the lyrics I fell for it. And for the Shins.

Sometimes I feel that music helps one get through life. I can't imagine living in a world without music. I know of a friend who hardly listens to music. I asked him once if he doesn't miss listening to music and he said no. For the last two years he's here he'd rather listen to CNBC news than a song. I think Man is inseparable from music. Prehistoric tribes have music. Even monkeys have been witnessed to beat on hollow logs. And don't forget that bird sings.

Then again I don't understand how some songs ever written can be passed as audible, let alone music. Songs that made me all cringe. I remembered listening to America's Top 40 years back and when some songs were declared top, I cringed and wondered how on earth some people listen to music. So when I watched on MTV the programme titled Worst Top 40 Hits I thanked god that at least I'm not the only one crying for justice here.

A few months ago I let a friend listen to my Kings of Convenience cds.



After a few songs, he enthusiastically reached over for his CD bag and told me that if I like KoC I would definitely love this particular group.

So he put his CD into the player and pressed Play. I waited.

The music of Gypsy King filled the air. I was astounded. He was looking at me expectantly.

I said to him, "Isn't this Gypsy King?" He said with wide eyes, "Yeah! Do you like it?"

I can't blame him. He's from North Carolina and he listens to Bon Jovi and the likes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Sony Vaio Notebooks