Friday, September 08, 2006

All Style but Nothing Else


Yesterday my iPhoto was officially declared dead. It went into coma about a month ago and since I thought it could easily be rebooted or restored to factory setting, I had left it in its coma state until yesterday when I finally had time to bring it to the Apple doctor.

The attendant behind the counter took a look at it, keyed in its serial number and told me, "Your iPod is past its warranty period."

I said, "Okay, so how much do you charge for repair?"

The attendant stared at the monitor screen and said, "Apple does not offer repair service for iPod. We can only order for replacement but it will cost you S$400-S$500 for one."

I said, wait, I got my iPod only a year and a half ago.

"Sorry ma'am, there's nothing we can do."

I had wished to hammer his head with my iPod but since I knew it was not his fault I abstained. I looked at him (angrily I hope) and said to him, "So basically you are telling me that Apple makes products that last for a year and that this thing is practically a junk now?"

He nodded, still staring at the screen, and said, "But some people have theirs for 3-4 years."

I forced a thank you and walked off in anger.

That bloody iPod of mine cost more than S$850 when I first got it and now it's dead. Just like that. If I knew that the manufacturer sees it as an annually disposable junk I would have settled for less. I've never expected it to last me to the golden age but three year durability is not much to ask. I've never trashed it around or have it submerged in water. I've treated it with care and considerable tenderness. And now that it walked out of my life it is just a piece of metal junk. Maybe I can reuse it as an expensive portable mirror or maybe I should just build a shrine to it.

On comparison, my panasonic CD Player has been with me for six years and my Sony Walkman, for as long as I can remember.

Obviously I am not the only one felt screwed and pissed here.

I find this comment on Engadget:

"Apple has an unethical hold on the flash memory market, and in doing so has created a monopoly, they create a product for nill and sell it for gobs of profit, and because other companies can't get those ball-bustingly low prices on Flash, they have to price equally to compete, selling at a loss even. There's nothing better about the iPod, limited formats, disgusting iTunes quality, a battery situation that has remained stupid and consumer unfriendly since its debut so many years ago, not to mention it has done almost Nothing to improve itself by comparison to the Zen."

To think that I was so in love with anything Apple.

I received this mail from the corporation too about a week ago. It reads:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL

Dear Apple Customer:

Apple has determined that certain lithium-ion rechargeable batteries containing cells manufactured by Sony Corporation of Japan pose a safety risk that may result in overheating. The affected batteries were sold worldwide, in systems and separately, from October 2003 through August 2006 for use with the following computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4, 15-inch PowerBook G4.

Issue: The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard. Apple received nine confirmed reports in the United States of these batteries overheating. Apple urges you to stop using your battery and to order a replacement battery immediately. After removing the recalled battery from the iBook or PowerBook, you should plug in the AC adapter to power the computer until a replacement battery arrives.


Overheating batteries that pose fire hazard? What am I dealing with here? Dodgy product disguised in sleek plastic shell?

I am disillusioned. My blind loyalty to all sleek and style had proved me an impractical fool. iPeople, I hereby tender my resignation from the club.

7 Comments:

Blogger MiauMau said...

I hear you, little fity... My ipod died just 2 days ago.. Now, it's nothing more than a glamourised walkman!
All of my lovely work is lost... sniff
P.S: miss our days at furzedown.

September 08, 2006 10:43 pm  
Blogger MiauMau said...

... by the way... It's Sandra here... there might be a case of mistaken identity :)

September 09, 2006 5:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fity, welcome to the club! So you've been writing your blog for weeks before letting people know about it!!! Unfair! :) Sad to hear about your iPod. I just replaced the hard disk of my iBook (remember the external hard disk hunting in Singapore?). It gave me a week's time to make all the backups and then finally died. I'm grateful for that at least... But yeah, pretty annoying, laptop lasts 2 years, a phone 1.5 years (if you're lucky), an iPod obviously 1 year. Evil corporations, this is how they drive their sales - they all rob us, poor unsuspecting customers.. Not sure if Zen is any better, I hear people throwing them to the rubish bin after owning it for a week...

September 09, 2006 5:53 am  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

Miaumiau: of course i know its you sandra!!!! Who else is gemini snake fluent in portuguese who draws wicked stuffs and calls me little fity and who used to stay at furzedown?!! :)
Giedre: that reminds me, i need to backup everything in my laptop to anticipate its death any moment now.. :( sob

September 09, 2006 11:42 am  
Blogger MiauMau said...

my laptop also died... it wasn't even 1 year old, had to buy another. All I had in it was in my ipod. Crap!!

September 09, 2006 9:30 pm  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

miaumiau: as a friend of mine would say: "Double crap!";)

September 10, 2006 4:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor !!!!!! I just plan to buy one more G5 ! :-(
my G5 here now is ok ! nothing hapopen!
some tips for u all, have to use extra fan/cooler for yr powerbook or G5 when it is on !
extra Fan / cooler ! remember !
;-)

October 15, 2006 1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Sony Vaio Notebooks