Thursday, September 14, 2006

Do You Agree?

Why do humans nod when they agree on something and shake their heads when they don't? Is it some kind of genetically inherited behavioural code handed down from long gone ancestors who might be some primates with hairy behinds? But the fact that there are certain race that would shake their heads even when they are agreeing with you wholeheartedly means that the first theory is not really accurate.

Then I read that it could be an evolution from bowing. So I imagine in prehistoric time before Man discovered the art of nodding, they'd bow everytime they agreed with each other (To sidetrack: what did they do when they disagree? Waving their spears?). So one day this guy who was apparently more intelligent than the rest of the group found out that instead of bowing which required you to bend your upper body forward at an angle - which could get pretty tiring, especially if you were seated around some bonfire and having a chat and everytime someone agreed with something the other said, he'd need to stand up and bow (they couldn't keep bowing whilst sitting down because then their hairy chests would get dirty faster)- you'd just need to do the same but only from the neck up. This he reckoned, would save them much energy and would make chatting around bonfire a much more comfortable experience. And so, nodding was born. (Japan was isolated for two and a half centuries so somehow they regressed to bowing but since nodding had been considered popular even before the sakoku policy was put in place, they couldn't help but to mix the two). On why certain races do not nod their heads, let me think of some kind of explanation and I'll get back to you.

Now, my Big Boss nods his head all the time. When he is doing performance reviews, when he talks in meetings, even as he walks down the office corridors and waves at us (yes, my Big Boss likes to wave at us) he would couple it with nodding. I suspect it is his way to make us subconsciously agree to his company visions and policies. And he likes to end his sentences with the phrase '... would you agree?' or its variables '... wouldn't you agree?' or '... don't you agree?' while nodding his head. Like being hypnotised, it was difficult for me to say no. So, I agreed.

I met a guy whom I discovered to have a propensity to ask for my agreement too. He would say for instance, "The sun rises from the east. Do you agree?" He would ask, "'Unfortunately' is counted as one crap. Do you agree?"

It is very hard not to agree with him. But because he did not couple his sentences with continuous nodding like my Big-boss, I did not agree.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fity, I have something that will shatter your nodding theory to pieces (or will it just confirm it, as an exception to the rule?). There's one place on Earth where they nod when disagreeing and shake their heads when they do agree. The place is BULGARIA. And I can tell you that its true! They really do that! I remember talking to a girl, who was shaking her head in disbelief to whatever I was saying. I felt very uncomfortable till I realized that she's from Bulgaria and she's actually encouraging me and in fact agrees with everything that I'm saying! The legend goes that when Turks occupied Bulgaria they tried to convert everyone to Islam (they're Orthodox Cristians otherwise). They'd put a sword to their neck and ask "do you convert to Islam and do you believe in this and that and so on". The poor guy would nod to save his life, but in his heart he'd disagree. So up to this day everyone nods when saying "no" and shakes their head when saying "yes".. :) I was in true disbelief when I heard it, but I SAW it myself!!!!

September 15, 2006 5:44 am  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

Giedre....Koooool, I never knew that! I only knew of people who shake their heads regardless. Yes, it confirms my fictional theory ;) because it means that the bulgrs initially nodded to show agreement and started to change the pattern only after the Turks' occupation (and four centuries of that too!)...

September 18, 2006 1:34 am  
Blogger MiauMau said...

I apologise, but, here's another blow to your "fictional theory":o)
"Nodding "yes" in the United States can mean "no" in Yugoslavia and Iran. Important cultural differences, despite jet air travel, keep nations apart."
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0876/is_n60/ai_11612084

September 18, 2006 6:48 pm  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

miaumiau: Oh no... my nodding theory has been found with loopholes!! Do you know the history behind this??? Couldn't access the link above.. :(

September 18, 2006 11:38 pm  
Blogger MiauMau said...

I found a really great little book whilst studying at Farnham, about body language around the world. It had quirky illustrations and explained just a little bit about the meaning of the gestures.
I'm not sure if this is the one, if found this title on Amazon "Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World". There's also a "Do's and Taboos Around the World for Women in Business" book, which I find a bit on the offensive side.
P.S: reminds me of that time that I tapped you on the head :P (I'm deeply sorry for that!)

September 19, 2006 12:00 am  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

miaumiau: oh sandra! since then my head has been tapped a couple more times!!! >:I I don't mind a pat or a gentle tap but I don't want to be losing more brain cells than necessary!!! ;P And, they should write a book on the do's and taboos for japanese businessman!

September 19, 2006 1:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Sony Vaio Notebooks