Saturday, September 30, 2006

Blood Test

My dad made me promise him to have my blood tested for dengue fever. He said if I don't he'll send my mom over. So I promised him that I would. That was on Tuesday. He's got my mom over by Wednesday anyway because being my dad, he knew I wouldn't honour this promise.

I kept telling my dad that it was gastric flu and that it has nothing to do with dengue. But still he called every few hours to nag me and my sis to go for the blood test. I did not. My sis did. And now she's being hospitalised as she had been tested positive for dengue. And now they are taking the blood out of her on a daily basis. And from the same spot over and over again.

I believe that what I don't know won't come true. I believe that if I bury my head like the japs, like the ostrich I mean, the thing ceases to exist. My family do not understand why I am being so stubborn. The point is I hate the idea of my blood being syringed out of me.

When I was still a poor college student, a nurse had tried to take some blood sample out of me. Being an intern, she had foolishly injected the syringe on some vein which caused my blood to spurt all over. I remembered I was sitting with a syringe stuck on my arm and my blood spurting out like a fountain 30 cm into the air for a few seconds. I wished somebody had had it filmed then, it'll make a good bedtime story for my grandchildren. That fateful day sealed my antagonism towards any syringe: they hate me and I hate them too, it's all very mutual.


(Shogun Decapitator. Check out the stylish blood spurting out of the guy's aorta. Aorta carries oxygenated blood, which explains the spurting and the hissing sound.)

So anyway now that the rain has stopped, I am still trying to cajole myself to go for the blood test. To go or not to go, that is the question.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fity, you have to do the test!!!! We're worried here!!!!

September 30, 2006 3:52 pm  
Blogger MiauMau said...

definately! (though I don't know what dengue is...)

October 02, 2006 4:41 pm  
Blogger Strawberrysurf said...

Dearest giedre and sandra: I still haven't gone for the blood test :[ Dengue, btw, is some febrile disease found in the tropics transmitted by that much hated Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes. Symptoms include fever with severe headache, muscle and joint pains and bright red rashes. There may also be gastritis with some combination of associated abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. You will get immune to the first type of dengue you get but the 2nd time you get it and if it's from a different strain, you might just die... Grim.

October 02, 2006 9:22 pm  
Blogger MiauMau said...

... and you're still not sure if you want a blood test?! Giedre, put some sense into this girl's head!

October 03, 2006 5:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Sony Vaio Notebooks