Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Trip Starts When You Pack Your Bag


Sunday night 11PM. My mate Ian rang me up.
"Shall we go up tomorrow?" he asked.
"Forecast looks bad, it's probably going to be flat," I said.

Ten minutes later, he rang again. "Fuck it, let's just go up. Worst scenario we'll just go for a paddle!"

Fighting a cold that had started since morning, I started packing. The trip has already started!

My excitement prevented me from falling asleep, but at 5AM I was already up.

Monday morning drive on the hazy road, early morning carb-rich breakfast then the drive to the spots, my cold has vanished into thin air.

The salty tang in the air, the grainy sand beneath our feet. A secret spot, four of us in the water. Waist-high wall peeling left and right. It wasn't perfect but we were too happy to care. To have the boards on our feet, to have salt water splashing on our faces, to look far to the horizon waiting, that was a gift. Four hours and a sunburn on my cheeks later, the tide was going out and it was too shallow to do anything. Up we packed, contented and couldn't ask for more.

On the drive back, we stopped by the local market to pick up some vegetables, bananas, watermelons, and mushrooms before heading home, heads filled with nothing else but a dream of another day like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Sony Vaio Notebooks